1800-1826: “The Architects’ Heyday”
Joseph Guillot and Claude Gurlie
The French Quarter was just developing its’ signature look during the early 19th century, largely in part due to the efforts of a few key architect-builders. Guillot and Gurlie owned property all along Toulouse Street, Royal Street and down along lower Decatur and spent considerable effort adding to each of their properties. What had originally been a one story, family home grew into the three story, balcony adorned, French Quarter mainstay. The two French-born architects are known for the signature design in the wood cornice that edges the roof of Hotel Maison de Ville.